Want to become a Motivational Speaker? Here is some guidance..
1. Evaluate your special message. Consider what it is that you have to say that would be of value to others–have you experienced great adversity, or received some special education? In order to succeed as a motivational speaker, you must have something special to deliver.
2. Carve out your niche. A motivational speaker is, in many ways, a product that must be sold. Why should someone pay to hear you impart your message? Be able to articulate your unique experiences and explain exactly how you can inspire others.
3. Create an outline of your presentation. This will be used not only to provide a framework for your talk but also as a marketing piece for potential clients.
4. Contact not-for-profits, large corporations and professional groups and make it clear you are available. While there is nothing wrong with directly asking for a gig, you will have better results by announcing your availability and letting them feel privileged to work with you.
5. Contact speakers’ bureaus and notify them of your availability. Some speakers’ bureaus charge you to list your services, others charge nothing. Most bureaus take a percentage for acting as your agent. Search for “speakers’ bureaus” on the Internet.
6. Be willing to work for free to get your name out. Once others hear your interesting story or experience, they may want to hire you. Inform everyone you know that you are looking for organizations who want a good motivational speaker.
7. Write and publish articles or books if possible, in order to establish yourself as an authority in your subject. You do not need to publish a book people will find in the local bookstore. Post to websites like wikiHow and submit to on-line magazines and blogs.
8. Draw up a written agreement, or contract, for all engagements. The written agreement should contain, among other matters, how the fees will be paid (e.g., cash, check, over time), how long you are expected to speak, whether you will be reimbursed for travel expenses, and the time and date. This will help to avoid any disputes at a later time.
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.