The eHow network has this interesting “How to Quit Smoking”…. this process could be used for any other addiction too.. what say?
Below are the 10 steps:
1. Ask yourself why you want to stop smoking.
2. Write your answers on a piece of paper and carry it with you.
3. Use it to remind yourself of why you want to stop, whenever you feel like smoking.
4. Fill out a “stop smoking contract” and have a family member or friend sign it. Throw away all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.
5. Change your schedule to avoid circumstances in which you usually smoke. Walk around the block or chew gum when you would normally be smoking.
6. Put up “no smoking” signs in your house and work area, and even in your car.
7. Prepare yourself to feel the urge to start smoking again. The American Cancer Society suggests four ways to deal with the urge to smoke: delaying, deep breathing, drinking water and doing something else.
8. Carry around “mouth toys” such as candy, gum, straws and carrot sticks.
9. List the good things that have happened since you stopped, and keep the list with you wherever you go as an inspiration.
10. Reward yourself for quitting; you could take the money you might have spent on cigarettes and buy yourself something nice.