These days VoIP is a major force.. there are many alternatives out there in the market ranging from the formal and serious VoIP providers like the big telecom majors such as AT&T .. to the small new startups that provide PC-to-PC service like Ineen! Here is a list of these providers… if you come across any that is not listed here – please do add them in the comments section.
Full Phone Service
- AOL TotalTalk : A U.S. and Canadian VoIP phone service provider.
- Aptela : A U.S.-based Business VoIP service provider.
- AT&T CallVantage : A U.S.-based Business VoIP carrier.
- Bandwidth.com : A U.S.-based Business VoIP carrier.
- BroadVoice : A U.S.-based VoIP network.
- BT Broadband Voice : A UK based VoIP service provided through BT
- Cliconnect Internet Telephony : A Canadian-Brazilian based Voip Service Provider.
- Congruent IP Communications : A Canadian-based hosted VoIP services provider.
- Covad : A U.S.-based hosted VoIP services provider.
- Earthlink Truevoice, Mindspring: A U.S.-based ISP.
- Engin : An Australian VoIP provider.
- HIVE (ISP) : An Icelandic communication company. Offering home-phones which utilize VoIP
- Internode NodePhone : An Australian-based VoIP service provider.
- Iristel Inc. : A Canadian based VoIP service provider with Asterisk and T.38 fax support.
- IXP Voice : A U.S.-based VoIP phone service provider.
- Lingo : U.S. VoIP offering of Primus Telecommunications.
- OpenWengo : A France-based VoIP Provider.
- MetroTel : A U.S.-based VoIP Provider.
- MyWebCalls : A UK-based VoIP phone service.
- Net2Phone : A U.S.-based VoIP pioneer founded in 1996.
- NetFone : A leading Canadian-based VoIP Provider.
- Packet8 : A U.S.-based VoIP network.
- sipgate: German SIP based provider also operating in Austria and the UK.
- SIPphone : A SIP-based VoIP network.
- SunRocket : A US-based company started by former MCI Execs.
- TheGlobe : A U.S.-based Voice over Internet Protocol communications company.
- TeleCable Services : A U.S.-based VoIP phone service provider.
- Telio : A Norwegian-based VoIP phone service provider.
- TexVoIP : Italian VoIP phone service provider.
- VoicePulse : A U.S.-based VoIP phone service provider.
- Vonage : A U.S.-based VoIP phone service provider.
- Verizon VoiceWing : Verizon’s version of VoIP.
- VoIP User : A UK based free SIP based network with a community funded PSTN gateway.
- Voxbone : A EU based provider of worldwide VoIP virtual numbers.
Free Services (PC-to-PC and PC-to Phone)
- Camfrog : Camfrog Video Chat uses a proprietary system with instant messaging to do multi-user audio and video.
- FWD (formerly Free World Dialup) : A free SIP-based VoIP network.
- Gizmo_Project : Gizmo Project uses your internet connection (broadband or dial-up) to make calls to other computers, phones and mobiles.
- Paltalk : A proprietary freeware VoIP system which uses a messenger-like client for video, voice and text chat. Also offers interoperable Instant messaging (IM) with AOL Instant Messenger , Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and ICQ using the Paltalk client.
- PeerMe : A proprietary freeware VoIP system which uses a messenger-like client.
- Skype : A proprietary freeware VoIP system which uses a messenger-like client.
- SIP Broker : One of the biggest free VoIP peering and ENUM services.
- Switchboard: Free VoIP applet which works from within a web browser. Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and any other Java enabled platform. No installation necessary.
- Teleo : A VoIP network using a P2P model.
- TelSIP : A European-based VoIP using SIP.
- TheGlobe : A proprietary freeware VoIP plugin which adds a messenger-like client to your browser.
- Vbuzzer : A SIP-based VoIP service with low cost access to conventional PSTN network.
- Chattercube : The worlds first Peer-to-Peer VoIP network.
- Ineen: A free Voice, Video and Instant Messaging service with a cool interface.
- Yahoo Messenger: The popular Yahoo Messenger has added video and voice chats along with ability to call up phones from PCs has made this service a viable alternative. It also gives free voicemail for PC-to-PC calls that the receiver can retrieve.
- GoogleTalk: Google talk is similar to Skype and a very good alternative to Skype. I use it a lot. Since it uses the normal Google/Gmail interface its handy as you get your gmail friends database right over.
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.