Recently I have started hitting the gym with a certain regularity where I try and run a mile and also do enough of weight exercise. The only thing is how I cannot always keep my tempo while running. Sometimes I chicked out! I personally believe that I feel better when I walk.. and walk for a long time. It serves me two purposes – One (important but not the most enjoyable) its an exercise and Two, (the most enjoyable) it gives me opportunity to think.. and reflect on my self. For me that is the time of my own way of meditation! Not as it has been explained in most places.
A lot of my issues and questions have resolved in those long walks I used to take in the park next to my house in India. Walking in the park was a ritual that was started for me by a close friend, Vishwa. I used to go to meet him and we used to walk and talk for hours on end. It was a greatly rewarding experience. Then he became busy and he came to US. In those years without him, I continued the practice on my own. And felt a lot of calmness.
Here are five benefits from Walking by Debbie Rocker on Yahoo. She obviously forgot that it can be done anywhere and also it provides you enough opportunity to think hard and be with yourself!!
- Walking is a cardiovascular exercise – it is good for your heart. Which is enough of a reason to walk in and of itself, but walking is good for your head too. Walking is great for clearing your mind and rejuvenating. Because it is aerobic, it helps condition your heart – you already know this, but it can condition your mind as well since you are releasing endorphins, enjoying nature, and doing something good for yourself. Walk alone one day and just “feel” the experience. Maybe I should have called this reason number 1 and 2 – oh well.
- Walking is weight bearing – we build bone strength by carrying weight. Since your body is weight (lest I remind you), walking helps build lower body bone density which helps prevent osteoporosis. Check out my weighted WALKVEST (walkvest.com) to really build bone strength and bone density. And guess what – you need to pay attention to doing exercises that build bone density and prevent osteoporosis sooner than you think. We all begin losing bone density (it’s a natural occurrence in us all) in our late 20s or early 30s. Read the stats. The bone loss process begins early – people recognize it (unaware that it has been happening for years) when it is in the later stages and our bones are already brittle. But osteoporosis is preventable – so start walk and do other weight bearing exercises (for your upper and lower body) now.
- Walking is cardiovascular – did I say that before? I believe I did. But there are even more aerobic benefits to walking, like the fact that walking helps burn excess calories so you can lose weight or maintain a healthy body weight. Should I have mad this one number 1?
- Walking is free. We like that!
- Walking is beneficial to everyone. At any age or any fitness level, walking is safe, effective and enjoyable exercise! OK, so this is 5, 6, and 7…just do it, you’ll feel better and you’ll look better!
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.