What makes companies cool and successful? Tom Peters, the original “Excellence” Guru dissects some companies and has a kind of running list.. that he has recently updated with the characteristics:
X.06/Success Factors: Whole Foods Markets (high-end, experience-design, demographic) … Starbucks (people, experience) … Wegmans (people) … Commerce Bank (nuts about customers, WOW, people, execution) … Apple (design-experience, breakthrough, “virus management,” resilience, talent, “seriously cool”) … London Drugs (design-experience, people, “solutions”) … Griffin Hospital/Planetree Alliance (customer-centric, “whole person”) … The Met School/Big Picture (engagement, self-control) … Carl Sewell (experience!) … Progressive Insurance (speed, IT) … Stanford women’s sports (demographic, Blue Ocean) … Stanford D-School (design-biz-engineering, Blue Ocean) … HSM (execution, experience) … WSB (integrity, broad view of customers, execution) … Build-A-Bear (experience) … RE/MAX (people/”create success stories”) … Donnelly’s Weather Strip Service (high end, execution-reliability, simply the best) … Jim’s Group (imagination-Blue Ocean, demographic, customer-centric) … Cirque du Soleil (talent, R&D, Imagination, resilience, design-experience, partnering) … U.S. Grant (execution, delegation, people, K.I.S.S., action-at-all-costs, win, bold ) … Horatio Nelson (execution, delegation, people, K.I.S.S., action-at-all-costs, win, bold) … Stew Leonard’s (people, experience-design, Wow) … DeMar Plumbing (experience, people, Blue Ocean)
* the ones in italics have in his words “screwed up but there is still a lot to learn from their glory days”
and what the factors in general? Here is a good list:
- High end.
- Crazy for customers!
- Crazy for Patients! (“Whole person”).
- People first, second, third.
- Breakthrough or bust.
- “Seriously cool.”
- “Virus management.”
- Tippy-top talent.
- “Solutions,” not “just” “satisfaction.”
- Self-control. (Customer/Patient/Student control.)
- Blue Ocean.
- “Mundane stuff” made great.
- Great demographic.
- The best. Period.
- Effective partnering.
- Play to win. (Offense > Defense.)
- Action! Always!
and some other commonalities:
- Focused on growth and revenue and “offense,” not defense and cost containment.
- Provide mind-bending experiences. (Driven by design primacy.)
- Nuts about customers.
- Happy to use words like “Wow.”
- Pretty close to the high end of the market.
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.