Since I discussed Scientology in my last post, I thought it was important to at least pen in some of its salient “teachings”. The “religion” was started by L. Ron Hubbard.
The ultimate goal is to get the soul (thetan) back to its native state of total freedom, as the “Operating Thetan”(OT)
If you were to read through these “tenets” it seems that this Hubbard guy has virtually lifted these so-called “tenets” from the basics of Vedanta (except the stuff on Psychology and other such stupid claims!) and not even bothered to give any proper copyrights to where it belonged! He has merely changed the words and since he was a Science fiction writer, he used the fancy words as “Thetan” for soul (Atman).. and “Operating Thetan” for Super-soul (Parmatman). It is simply hillarious, how the Western philosophers (and even the Eastern ones) have preyed on Vedanta and made a killing laughing their way to the bank!! Wonder if Hubbard has become the “Operating Thetan” now? Just wondering! Well, at least he has Tom Cruise jumping all over the sofas, huh!
Some central tenets of Scientology:
* A person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body.
* The thetan has lived through many past lives and will continue to live beyond the death of the body.
* Through the Scientology process of “auditing”, one can free oneself of “engrams” and “implants” to reach the state of “Clear”, and after that, the state of “Operating Thetan”. Each state is said to represent recovering the native spiritual abilities of the individual, and to confer dramatic mental and physical benefits.
* A person is basically good, but becomes “aberrated” by moments of pain and unconsciousness in his or her life.
* What is true for you is what you have observed yourself. No beliefs should be forced as “true” on anyone. Thus, the tenets of Scientology are expected to be tested and seen to either be true or not by Scientology practitioners.
* Psychiatry and psychology are evil and abusive practices.
Scientology claims to offer “exact” methods of spiritual counseling to help people achieve awareness of their spiritual existence, while enhancing their effectiveness in the physical world. The exact nature of all of existence is said to be stated in Hubbard’s Scientology and Dianetics Axioms.
According to the Church, the ultimate goal is to get the soul (thetan) back to its native state of total freedom, thus gaining control over matter, energy, space, time, thoughts, form, and life. This freed state is called Operating Thetan, or OT for short.
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.