I have been blogging for some years now.. I started by doing some blogs on blogger from Google and then moved to MovableType. After a brief tryst with b2e, I finally settled on Drupal. There is a lot of talk these days on “pro-bloggers” – people who blog as a living! There are many .. and the mecca for all of these is Problogger. Darren Rowse has really helped a lot of bloggers to make money.
finding a niche is critical to making money while blogging
I personally believe that to make money – realistically become a pro-blogger – you really need to do the following:
- find a niche – 3 categories give the best results (technology, entertainment and personal development)
- be very focused
- be regular and original
Now, I know this. However, personally, I like writing on different topics.. and yet I want to retire from work and take up full time blogging! The question is HOW? I just cannot write on just one topic – for the simple reason that I like so many things from Finance to Spirituality to Politics to Science to Movies! So, do I have a future as a blogger?
Maybe.. and maybe not! Here are some of my strengths as a blogger:
- I write passionately…. so it clicks with the readers.
- The topics – though varied – create an interesting rainbow of content that people can read for long.
- I do bring a perspective (Drishtikone) that is at times different from others.
ch_client = "deshkapoor";
ch_width = 160;
ch_height = 160;
ch_non_contextual = 1;
ch_default_category = "200001";
var ch_queries = new Array( );
if ( ch_selected
And what are the weakness of my content:
- It is not very detailed. It is good but not great.
- It is not “path-breaking”. Something that tops the Digg and delicious ranks!
- It is not strong enough for people to start writing hundreds of comments!
So what should I do to improve? Do I have a future? Any thoughts?
Here are some of the things I am thinking of doing:
- Create a structure around my posts – so they are not a bunch of some thoughts
- Research my topics and write in-depth articles which can be digged etc.
- Have a definite set of content types that I have create a framework around –
- Product Reviews,
- Book Reviews,
- Case Study,
- Detailed Analytical Articles,
- Regular weekly/monthly podcast
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.