VK has mentioned Gayatri mantra that his family recites at almost every time – meals and other times. Let us talk about the mantra. Here it is:
ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः ।
तत् सवितुर्वरेण्यं ।
भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि ।
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ॥
Or in English:
oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ
tat savitur vareṇyaṃ
bhargo devasya dhīmahi
dhiyo yo naḥ prachodayāt
Here is the word for word translation:
* om The mystical Om syllable.
* bhū “earth”prithvi
* bhuvas “atmosphere”antariksha
* svar “light, heaven”beyond antariksha
* tat “that”
* savitur devasya “of Savitr, the god” (genitives of savitr-, ‘stimulator, rouser; name of a sun-deity’ and deva- ‘god’ or ‘demi-god’)
* varenyam accusative of varenya- “desirable, excellent, fit to be adopted”
* bhargo “radiance, lustre, splendour, glory”
* devasya “divine”
* dhīmahi “may we attain” (1st person plural middle optative of dhā- ‘set, bring, fix’ etc.)
* dhiyaḥ naḥ “our prayers” (accusative plural of dhi- ‘thought, meditation, devotion, prayer’ and naḥ enclitic personal pronoun)
* yaḥ pracodayāt “who may stimulate” (nominative singular of relative pronoun yad-; causative 3rd person of pra-cud- ‘set in motion, drive on, urge, impel’)
And a little easier meaning is:
We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;
May He enlighten our Intellect.
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.