Now in a complete Mother of Flip-Flops, finally Pakistan has admitted in its reply to the Indian dossier that the attack was indeed planned on its soil. Among other things, some other admissions are:
– 7 of the terrorists were Pakistani nationals
– Hamad Ameen Sadiq facilitated the money transfer for the attacks
– Javed Iqbal acquired the VoIP connection from Spain, over which the entire operation was managed.
– They have named the person who acquired the engine that powered the inflatable boat that carried the terrorists to Mumbai
– There were other people in Spain who were connected to the Mumbai Attacks and the Spanish Government has been asked to arrest them.
– Three boats were used in the entire operation. Two were Al-Husseni and Al-Fauz.
Now, this is in one way beyond what one would expect from the Pakistani Government in this matter. However, what is important is for the US and Indian investigators to check notes and make sure the people who have been arrested and accused are indeed the right ones. Such gestures have a tendency to be done on the back of innocent. It wouldn’t be a surprise that a poor guy is picked up from a village and made the scapegoat… while the real culprits are out.
Another thing, this entire mess is a systemic thing. Despite the reply, it is going to be very tough to believe that things in the institutions will ever change. For Pakistan’s own future, it is imperative that Army and ISI take a back seat. However, that is easier said than done. From all accounts, they are the ones who call the shots… as Benazir painfully came to realize!
Get Drishtikone Updates
in your inbox
Subscribe to Drishtikone updates and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.