Open Source Apps to install on a new PC

Yesterday, I bought a new laptop as my old one had become really slow given that I had a lot of applications on it. I really want to test out some business applications in the coming days and so (i) I needed larger memory and (ii) better speeds. So, I went for an HP Pavilion dv6-1030us with 4GB memory and 320 GB storage.

Now what really consumes all the time is the configuration of the new laptop/computer. You have been used to all the programs and you need to install them again… but the reckless loading of old programs was not a good strategy to begin with. So, which ones do you install. Plus, I am lover of Open Source. So here is my list of Open Source Programs that I loaded onto my laptop.

1. Firefox. Ok, this is the very first thing I install. I cannot tolerate IE .. any version. So, I get this baby in within the first 10 mins.
2. Spicebird. Now, last time I tried this, it didn’t work… so I had had Thunderbird. But I tried it again.. and it worked like a charm. Best thing was I used the IMAP to map my Gmail to my spicebird. It mimics the gmail onto my spicebird – complete with labels and folders!
3. Audacity. I blog and podcast so I need this one. Also install LAME for Mp3 conversion. Works like a charm.
4. wbloggar. This is my favorite blogging client. Simple and uncluttered.
5. Open Office. I love this office / productivity suite as it comes with Draw as well.. which is very powerful.
6. Filezilla. If you are maiintaining sites, then you should have this ftp application. It makes your life real easy.
7. Digsby. I have always installed the Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk.. but this one application combines all of these plus your Linkedin and Facebook account. Sweet!
8. Skype. Now, this may not be open source.. but its free. And its powerful and great. So, this is a must.

These are about all the applications I have installed to make my life easy. What would you install? Anything that you think I may have missed.. some application which is free… small.. reasonable.. and very useful? Any of the above that you wouldn’t want on your laptop? Why? Please do share.

VLC player for watching videos.
    http://sumopaint.com/web/ This is not a downloadable application but is akin to photoshop.

Which anti-virus software do you use?

VLC player for watching videos.

Which anti-virus software do you use?

Thanks, Anonymous! I agree VLC player is great.. should have it too. I looked at Sumo Paint. Its really excellent! I am sure you will see a lot of stuff made there as images on my blog.

5. vk says

You really should have bought it with Ubuntu/Linux as your Operating System. Then you could have used the free VMWare Player to host Windows and/or Mac OSX in it if you wanted.

If you don’t use IE or MS Office, you don’t really have a lot of reason to pay the extra cash for Windows and take the hit on your memory from Vista. (Vista hogs 1GB.)

How much did the Laptop cost?

vk

As technically challenged as I am, I couldn’t find a Ubuntu/Linux based thing. This one cost me $650. Which is not too bad for one with this much power.

7. vk says

How much did the Laptop cost?

vk

9. Angeline F.Ray says

My life is easer with these programs ,it’s true.Also I use in my working process.Thanks for experience.

10. Angeline F.Ray says