Canada recognizes all common law countries' grads as equivalent

Entry of law graduates from Common law countries has become easier into Canada as lawyers.

“The National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) has decided that three-year full-time law degrees from Common Law Countries including India, England and Australia should be treated equivalently regardless of their country of origin. It is a substantial reduction in barrier to entry into legal profession,” Vern Krishna, outgoing executive director of the NCA, said on Sunday.

This means that Law degrees from India, Australia, Bangladesh, England, Hong Kong, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Singapore, USA, Wales and West Indies will be treated equally.

Now grads from these countries will have to (i) qualify exams in about six subjects, depending on their past education and expertise and (ii) write bar exam in Canada for equivalence.

Reference links:

1. Canada recognises Indian law degree at par with UK, Australia

1. Balbir Multani says

Just a question if you people can answer:

I have a 2 year law degree from 1960 and was a judge in Punjab cadre for 30+ years. Am I still eligible for this law equivalency?

Dear Mr. Multani – based on the little understanding from the news, we would surely hope so. I would suggest that you may want to go to the Canadian consulate in Chandigarh or Delhi. Please check these site for the contact information for the consulates:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/i… – Chandigarh

Mission Tel.: (91-172) 5050300
    Immigration Tel.: (91-172) 5050350

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/i… – New Delhi.

Generally, I have found that the Canadian embassy is very helpful in answering all the questions. So, please do contact them with your question and all the relevant documents. There is no need to use any middleman.. just go directly, sir.

3. Balbir Multani says

Just a question if you people can answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/chandigarh.asp – Chandigarh

Mission Tel.: (91-172) 5050300
    Immigration Tel.: (91-172) 5050350

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/new-delhi.asp – New Delhi.

5. Balbir says

I really appreciate your comment. It means a lot to me.

Truly,
    Balbir

6. Balbir says

I really appreciate your comment. It means a lot to me.

Truly,