Yashpal Committee report on Higher Education in India

Yash Pal graduated with a degree in physics from Punjab University in 1949 and was awarded a PhD degree in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1958. During a long academic and research career he served as a visiting professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, the California Institute of Technology and the Danish Space Research Institute. Yash Pal has held several prominent positions during his career which includes Chief Consultant, Planning Commission (1983-84), Secretary, Department of Science & Technology (1984-86) and Chairman, University Grants Commission (1986-91).

Yesterday, Yashpal Committee report on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education (embedded below) was accepted by Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal. It is an interesting document and a well times one. According to the foreword, this document has full backing of PM Dr. Singh and the HR Minister Sibal.

A lot of years back, I had once watched in interview with Prof. Yashpal. He is a scientist with interests in arts. So, the interviewer asked him about his varied interests to which he replied that at the end of his life he did not want to look back and see only one road on which he had walked. He wanted to wander on the sideways and smell the beautiful flowers and watch the streams also that were away from the main road. That one answer of his has impacted me a lot over my years of growing up.

I think this report includes that thinking. The report is very wide ranging – from structure of the Indian education to the examination system to the inequities to how a good and high level University should be structured. He has taken his learnings from MIT and Caltech to fashion the next generation of the Indian Universities. There is also an admittance on the peripheral education structure of donation colleges that proliferate the Indian landscape. There is also the acceptance of the uselessness of the traditional Undergraduation degree courses – which has taken a long time coming. There is also the push to a more robust and meaningful vocational strata of education.

If this report is accepted as Kapil Sibal has indicated, then this may be the best legacy that he and Dr. Singh can leave behind for the coming generations. Please do share your thoughts on what you think are the 5 most important issues in Indian education and how they can be rectified?

1. Elizabeth says

Yet another set courtesy of my darling husband. These were taken 2 summers ago before I let bush grow back…so dont freak out when you see it being shaved….its still here. I promise. In my members only boudoir youll see me having a nice long shower and good foamy shave.See my photos here

2. Jonathan says

Watch Movie Online Now!Download Movie

3. Anne-Marie says

Chuck Dillon writes:I know 10 years is not a long time, but by this time in my teaching career I think I have had just about every type of student. Earlier this year to relieve my stress I started categorizing and sketching out each student type (Comic artist Daniel Clowes already touched on this categorization

4. Celia Alliston says

The audio is so crisp and radical sounding!!! the timing very professional and thoughtful! Inspiring!

5. John Walker says

Hi,
    Slutty Black Teen gets fucked and covered with http://www.page.net hot cum!

6. Edward says

Hello
    This dude has a serious tool and he knows how to use it. Skunk Riley takes a break from fucking his normal white chicks to do this ebony babe.

7. Pandora King says

I think this may be the first time Im listed first on anything alphabetical. The S in my surname usually puts me near the back of the aphabetical bus; but with Weinberger and http://www.lynch.net Zittrains help, Im listed first. Cool. I also love the early-60s design and typeface.That title So Hows Utopia Working Out For Ya?

8. Mark Peris says

Hi!
    My family thinks of me as a “world traveller”, but I don’t really think I qualify. To my mind, a world traveller should have met at least the following criteria:

9. Ambrose Rowland says

My understanding of

10. Christopher says

I come from a very poor

11. Marc Croft says

i remember hearing Alex Toth absolutely hated this cartoon. i mean i like it, but the super limited animation is a bit annoying, especially when you take a look at his awesome character designs.

12. Alice Oliver says

This one time… from http://www.macleod.net nelson boles on Vimeo.

13. Paul Hayes says

Hope she had plenty of lube http://www.chambers.net when she took this big black dick up her tight white ass hole. Max power in this gallery, must see this!

14. Mikael Tang says

15. Jennifer says

Hi,
    I think this may be the first time Im listed first on anything alphabetical. The S in my surname usually puts me near the back of the aphabetical bus; but with Weinberger and Zittrains help, Im listed first. Cool. I also love the early-60s design and typeface.That title So Hows Utopia Working Out For Ya?

16. Matthew Burnett says

OMG!!! I`ts so trueee!!!!

17. Jennifer Lowkes says

I would just like to say hello to all of you.

18. Martin says

Watch this girl get completely annihalated in this http://www.witcombe.net Lesbian Gangbang!

19. Rupert says

I havent’ seen much regarding this subject.

20. Ruoyi says

I had dinner the other night with a 21-year-old and his boss. The kid had worked for the company for two summers http://www.brewer.com and was trying to decide between going back to college in September or taking a year off to get more work experience.The boss said that one advantage of going back to school was

21. Jack says

we’re starting to plan a ‘big trip’ to go in a couple of years’ time, by which time we’ll be 2 adults and 3 kids (aged 8, 4 and 4). we’re hoping to spend about 6 months http://www.gorasia.info doing something really different from our usual lives (london, serious office jobs) – like environmental work in south america or something (not necessarily paid of course!).

22. Victoria Painter says

With the 10th anniversary edition of Cluetrain coming out, I thought Id try to keep up with postings that mention Cluetrain through four five Live Web* search engines: BlogPulse, Google BlogSearch, Technorati, FreindFeed Search and Twitter Search. Ive got all four feeding into an aggregator.As of 3:33pm EDST, BlogPulse finds 20 posts so far

23. Martin Zaidi says

🙂
    The U.N.’s top human rights official says the arrest of http://www.basten.net peaceful protesters in Iran raises “troubling questions.”

24. Nand Kishore says

Yaspal committee report good when it sketches vision of future education system but it is weak in implementation part. Draft report is more focused in comparison of final report. I think following should be added in report.

(1)There should be smooth transition from past to future (education system). Generally either we became visionary (attached with future) or speculator (to manipulate old) when we want to reform. There should be a map to show how system will transit from present to future in phases.
    (2)It is responsibility of planner to anticipate source of resistance from present.
    (3)Planner should suggest how to face these resistance.
    Generally we leave such issues to implementer (generally govt officials). That is why we say are habitual for phrase “plan was good but its wrong implementation is cause of failure”. I think Prof. Yashpal like people should come forward to take this responsibility and set a new tradition that any reform committee should take responsibility to identify source of resistance and different module of implementation.

There is some discussion at 0space.org (zerospace.org) which tells us how this movement can be started (even by a single teacher)

25. Nand Kishore says

(3)Planner should suggest how to face these resistance.

Mr. Nand Kishore – sir, very useful suggestions and very practical points by you!

Unfortunately, in India, we either lack in planning or execution and definitely in maintenance or support systems. That is why once the Universities are created no body looks after the infrastructure after that. Which is a shame!

I will go through the site you have mentioned and try and post stuff here on it.