A Ten year old's take on World economy

My daughter and I were in the car and she started discussing the situation of food in her cafetaria.

Daughter: Dad, you know the food in our cafetaria used to be very good earlier, but now all they give all the time is frozen food just heated up. Thank God I take food from home. That all is so unhealthy!

Me: So why did they change in your cafetaria?

Daughter: Duh! Dad, the EEECAUNUHMEEE (economy)!! They don’t have enough money now. And guess what! The cafetaria is not even as clean as it used to be.. there are crumbs all over the place now… they don’t do a good job now!

Me: So you think all that is due to bad economy?

Daughter: Yeah Dad! (as if it was obvious and I was a fool to not even make the connection) After all, they can’t pay people enough and they do just enough work.. don’t do a good job. You know Dad, there are only two kids in my class who are interested in economy!

Me: Who are they?

Daughter: Me and this guy called Jake Tommy. We both discuss about economy.

Me: That’s very nice! So what do you think is wrong with our economy?

Daughter: We don’t make anything. Have you looked Dad, everything is from China! They give us all the stuff and we keep giving them the money. What do you think will happen then? But Indian economy is doing really well!

Me: What you say makes sense, shona (beautiful one)! So, how do you know India is doing so well?

Daughter: Well, they now have McDonalds there and also more jobs out there. McDonalds is not cheap to open Dad…. specially in the Indian money! So they must be making a WHOOOOLEEE LOT of money for all that to happen…. right?!

Me: I guess so..

And I started thinking…. while my daughter went back to listening to her favorite Hannah Montana and Dhoom 2 songs on the pink MP3 player!

1. Purba says

Ecanuhmee…could visualize her in the car, looking sombre and discussing what ails the conomy :))

2. Purba says

yeah she was pretty serious and animated. She was so confident of what she felt and how she analyzed it surely took me by surprise! She is a playful kind and into girly stuff.. so such serious discussion from her was a pleasant thing for me.. :

5. Anuradha Salwan says

These kids are most informed and updated than we think!! Considering the spread of exposure/ information and the speed at which it is hitting them, doubt whether they have much choice.

Navya has always come across as a thinker…she has the inherent wisdom…just remembered bhaiya…she was born with a tooth!!!

Cheers,

6. Anuradha Salwan says

Cheers,

The kids are well informed and easy excess to information than our generation had. The knowledge is not monopoly of few as it used to be, there is so much information available now.

I remember when I was student in India, it was not possible to get hold of a book easily because there were few copies and lecturers had all of them. You had to make note by hand.

9. Jasleen_M says

I like that she is thinking beyond what is apparent on the surface! Her intellect has analyzed the root cause of why the school cafeteria sucks…Very hope-generating post D. 🙂

10. Jasleen_M says

11. garima says

One quality that kids have and we lose as we grow up is original unbiased thinking. I am amazed at this little girl’s logic.
    Garimaa