THE Central Bureau of Investigation has become a political arm of the ruling Congress party. The CBI has been used as a threat to corner the Opposition leaders and get their support to serve their political interests. There is indeed a vulnerable section in the Opposition. It is vulnerable because of cases of corruption against their leaders. CBI was utilised to defeat the cut motion in the Parliament. Now the CBI is being used to harass senior leaders of the NDA and other Opposition leaders.
Unfortunately ordinary people of our country are carried away by the silent, serious, thoughtful face of Congress PM Manmohan Singh. Behind this innocent appearance, a blatant misuse of the Central Bureau of Investigation is going on unabatedly.
People in general must be made to understand, how this UPA Government has completely destroyed the independence and autonomy of the CBI.
1. The Bofors case is systematically finished by misusing the CBI. The Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi no longer figures in the CBI list of wanted persons and the 12 years old Interpol has removed the red corner notice against the lone surviving suspect in the Bofors pay-off case.
2. Congress leader Jagdish Tyler accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case was given a clean chit by closure of case again him.
3. The case against Ajit Jogi for attempting to buy MLAs was cleverly finished .
4. Sanction for prosecution was not granted against Satish Sharma in a case of nepotism regarding allotment of petrol pumps.
5. The case of possessing disproportionate assets against Lalu Yadav was weakened by changing the public prosecutor. A special bench of the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal was created to exonerate him of any tax liability and legitimise his wealth so that it can be used as the basis for acquittal in the criminal trial. When that did happen, the CBI was advised not to file an appeal before High Court. When the State Government filed an appeal, the CBI took a plea that nobody else had the authority to make an appeal.
6. The case against the BSP leader MS Mayawati regarding the Taj Corridor was diluted when the BSP support was required in 2007. However, at the time of no confidence vote in 2008 the case of disproportionate assets against her was activated when she was actively opposing the UPA. Suddenly in April 2010, a statement was made before the Supreme Court seeking to dilute the case of disproportionate assets against Mayawati, when her support was required in the Cut Motion in the Lok Sabha.
7. Affidavits in the case of Mulayam Singh Yadav were changed depending on the circumstances when he supported the Government or when he opposed the Government.
8. A false case against Shri George Fernandes was registered in relation to defence transactions, even though the Commission of Inquiry headed by Justice Phukan had categorically opined that there was no case against him.
9. Today the State of Gujarat is witnessing the tyranny of the CBI with a systematic effort being made to harass the functionaries of the State government, particularly Police officers, in order to intimidate them and take vindictive action against them. This is being done in cases which have already been investigated by the Special Investigative Team set up by the Supreme Court.